July 09, 2008

A Box Arrived From Germany Today.....

I bought these china doll heads off the internet, and they finally arrived. It was like Christmas morning unwrapping 225 of these treasures. They come from an old factory in Germany, and are from around 1900. I guess that when one broke, cracked or had some flaw, they would cast them off into the dirt....(where people now go and dig them up!) So many of the heads still had dirt inside of them. As a special treat, the man I bought them from, Thomas, sent a gift...a bag of Frozen Charlottes! In case you don't know what they are, they used to make them and put one in every bag of flour, to encourage women to sift the flour carefully before baking with it. You would always sift the flour so you didn't wind up with a mini china doll in your cake! They are beautiful and amazing. They are all missing arms and a few legs....but for me it only adds to their beauty! So old and interesting.

Both heads and Frozen Charlottes will be available for sale at Zinnia.



2 comments:

  1. You know I love these doll heads!!


    (and if these were all laid out like this in my house, I'd have major nightmares)

    ReplyDelete
  2. very cool. i miss zinnia's! i'm hoping to make it out soon. baby jesus told me to.
    cyndi

    ReplyDelete