June 29, 2008

Soldering with Tyn

Okay, so it's been a week since I took Tyn's soldering class at Zinnia. I had to wait because the enormous blister I got after I touched the hot end of the soldering thing. The truth is that the blister wasn't that bad. I deserve it for being impatient. I wanted to have a reason for not blogging about the class earlier in the week.

Anyway... Tyn taught the soldering class last Sunday 6/23 at Zinnia. It was pretty cool. She let me sit-in, watch and make while I kept an eye out for customers. I have never tried soldering because I always thought that it would be way too complicated and have toooooo many rules. I say rules you probably say, instructions. Tyn made it easy to follow. Granted, I have the attention span of a fly so perhaps she had to repeat things one or twenty times. The process was fairly easy to follow. The tools have funny names that I'll never remember... like that white bar that looks like a bar of Dove soap she uses to clean the hot wand (blister maker)that melts the metal stuff. I am not worried about the names of the tools because Tyn is super and she will tell me or I can just go the stained glass store in Eagle Rock and point at the tools.

Unfortunately, we did not have a camera to photograph the treasures that the other 2 students and I made. Absolutely beautiful. I was able to make 4 pieces and would have made more if I paided attention and perhaps, not whined quite so much. I did after all take about 85% of the class time looking for the perfect image to use. Hey, I'm trying to loosen up... I'm a work in progress.

If you have ever been curious about soldering I recommend Tyn's class.

Ciao for now. Suki

2 comments:

  1. Oh Suki- you are sweet. You did a great job, and I have to say you win the award for the 1st person in any of my classes to actually get burned.
    :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Suki- you are sweet. You did a great job, and I have to say you win the award for the 1st person in any of my classes to actually get burned.
    :(

    ReplyDelete