December 30, 2009

I think I am a sentimental fool

I grew up in Pasadena. The Rose Parade has always been a part of my life. I can't help but to get a little excited as I watch the preparations for the parade go up. I drive up Orange Grove to work everyday, along the way I see the Wrigley House/Rose Parade Headquarters. Giant white tents start going up the last weeks of December. Keep driving and the spectator stands start getting built too. At the corner of Orange Grove and Colorado Blvd the stands are prepared for HGTV, NBC and media in general. Tonight when I drove by tonight workers were busy wiring and lighting and fussing over the perfection of it all. Because of the rain they had to cover the giant lights and cameras with plastic. There is a certain kind of buzz in the city too. I think it's because there so many out-of-towners. About 20 years ago I lived one block south of Colorado Blvd, otherwise known at this time of the year as 'the parade route'. I woke up on New Years day to find strangers playing croquet on my lawn. It was annoying because it made me feel invaded, but I soon got over it when I decided to charge for parking in the driveway and lawn.
The parade is great and all but I like the set up of it all. Drive down to the Rose Bowl and you see floats at their final stages of preparation; take a deep breath and you can smell all the flowers or the roses.
I'm a sentimental fool.
If you are here from out of town stop by Zinnia. We will be open 11am to 2pm tomorrow. Stop by and say hi and check out the last of the Christmas merchandise that we currently have at 50% off. We hope that you have a safe, warm and wonderful New Years celebration and a prosperous 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment