May 09, 2010

Happy Mother's Day...

To all the Moms out there. To the sisters that raised younger siblings. To the women who care for children in anyway, shape or form. I spent the afternoon at my parent's house eating Colombian food from my Mom's favorite Colombian restaurant. I gave her the gift I made her and I am not sure what she really thought. I hope she ends up using it.

I have to share my favorite Mother's Day story. For the past 16 years I have worked with children. Kids whose Moms are not around for whatever reason. I love working with kids. About 13 years ago I was working at a group home for girls. The average age of the girls was 8 years old. I had a special bond with one of them in particular. She is Caucasian and by 8 years old she had already lived in several Spanish speaking foster homes and had learned to speak Spanish. She use to ask that I speak to her in Spanish so she wouldn't forget it. One Mother's Day I started to wake-up the girls... (Oh wait important detail; we were very careful and did not let the girls call any of the staff Mom). When I got to this little girl's room she was already awake. She saw me and before I could say anything she said, "Happy Mother's Day Suki..." Before I could react she continued and said, "wait... I know you're not my Mom, but you're like a mother to me." She got out of bed and gave me a hug.
Damn. I gave her a hug and thanked her; then I went to the staff office and burst into tears. I have never taken my work for granted. I realize the role I have played in their lives. The little girl is now about 21ish. I wish I could see her and tell her how much that comment meant to me.

Happy Mother's Day to all the women who care for children, adolescents and young adults.. whether they are your own or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment