January 12, 2010

Bread is gooooood!

Some of our local friends might already know that "Great Harvest Bread Co." is finally opening in South Pasadena. If you don't know and you love bread like I do, you will have to stop by and try this new place. I first met them at the 'Tattered and Tangled 'show we hosted last year. They set up a booth of sorts in the old Zinnia courtyard and shared samples of their delicious breads. They have been planning and submitting permits for some time now. But alas their Grand Opening is this Friday, January 15th. There will be an Open House on Thursday evening from 5pm to 7pm.

I can't wait. Bread is my crack and that's just it. I am excited about bread. They will be serving Peet's Coffee and Tea. I like Buster's but a variety will be nice.

Another reason I am so excited is because I have lived in the South Pasadena area for almost 20years and it so nice to watch the city blossom as it has through the years. I've seen the business district on Mission Street as a quiet little city, few cars almost no traffic and a ghost town of sorts, then come to life with the arrival of the Metro Gold Line. In fact I was one of the die hards that did not want the metro. I freaked when the 1st Starbucks came to town and spent endless hours going through the antique stores that lined Mission Street. I am history geek so I researched the new Zinnia location as much as I could. I found out that in the 1930's the building was the local grocer, Model Grocery Company. Their claim to fame was the arrival of the first delivery truck. I couldn't confirm this little nugget but it was shared by a very reliable source... the grocer had cows in the back to provide fresh milk. Have you seen the walk-in safe that we use as a closet at the store? It's pretty cool. Surprising that the location was one of the numerous Ostrich farms that South Pasadena is also known to have had.

Ooookay then, la la la. In short; The Great Harvest Bread Co. will open on Mission Street on Friday. Bread is my crack..and I am truly excited about bread. Be sure to stop by and get you nibble on.

Their address is: 1019 Mission Street, South Pasadena and their number is: 626.441.4786 Monday to Friday 6:30am to 7:00pm, Saturdays 7am to 4pm and Sunday 7am to 3pm

1 comment:

  1. hi suki! after we left zinnia the other night we went over and got 2 rolls and 2 slices of bread and holy moly, you were spot on when you said how fantastic it was.

    although they had technically closed 3 hours prior, they remained open due to the huge crowd and we were sure glad they did!

    david's nanny baked some of the best dang bread i'd ever eaten, and this is a pretty close second. two bites in and we were like, "oh my god, this is nanny's bread!"

    the carb-craving bread monster in us is now unleashed. mwwaa haaa haa...get ready bellies, cause mama n papa's fillin' you up with bread, lovely bread.

    ReplyDelete